Tortilla Soup

And yet another one of my friend, Katherine Field's recipes.

My husband isn't a big fan of soup. I LOVE soup though, so I make it all the time anyway. Bahahah. Can't always please them, right? I was happy when he did say that this soup was one of the ones he actually enjoys. (I really don't know what his problem with soup is... he doesn't think it fills him up or something. Silly.) This soup is super easy, very quick, flavorful and not so heavy. Enjoy!


2 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz. chicken broth (about 4 cups)
1 - 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, not drained
1 - 4 oz. can green chopped green chilies
1 t. cumin
1 t. chili powder
1 t. sugar
1 T. lime juice
3 large chicken breasts, cooked and chopped/shredded

Saute onion and garlic in oil until tender and fragrant. Add broth, tomatoes, chilies, spices, sugar and lime juice. Add chicken and simmer for at least 20 minutes on med-low.
Garnish with these ingredients (this is what makes this soup so good!):

Diced avocado
sour cream
chopped cilantro
Mexican blend cheese or cheddar
crushed tortilla chips

Comments