Creamy Turkey Corn Cowder

Adapted from the kitchen of Rebecca Lutter of essentialsforliving.org


1 c. chopped onion
1 t. minced garlic*
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can chicken broth*
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream chicken soup
2 c. diced turkey*
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can cream style corn
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 t. chili powder or more to taste
1/2 t. ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 (5 oz.) can eveporated milk*
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
...
Directions
Add onions, garlic and broth to a large pot and bring to boil until onions and garlic are tender and onions are translucent. Turn temp to med heat and add cream of chicken soup, mixing well. Add turkey, cans of corn, chili powder and cumin. Let simmer for at least 10 minutes. Add milk and cheese slowly, incorporating well. Simmer until bubbly and hot. Serve promptly. You may garnish with chopped green onions.
...
*Trade Secrets
I use more garlic than just a teaspoon. For soups, I usually use boullion cubes, usually 1 cube to 1 cup of water. A 14 1/2 oz. can of broth is about 2 cups of water and 2-3 boullion cubes. I substitute the chicken for the turkey; I would only ever use turkey if I had left over turkey from Thanksgiving. I also have used skim milk, or whatever milk I have in my fridge 1% or 2% in place of the evap. milk. There really is no difference.

Comments